Thursday, November 1, 2012

Terry Callier Passes Away

Terry Callier performing Lazarus Man

I heard on Monday that Terry Callier had passed away after a long illness, he was 67. He came to my attention in the 80's when I bought one of his records on the recommendation of the owner of a music shop. His music is a mix of folk and jazz, he was very special and I've followed his career ever since.

I don't think he was recognised in his native US where he subsidised his music with work in factories. But in the UK he was a star of the Rare Groove circuit and collaborated with Massive Attack. He was also big in Japan (no pun intended), and the Far East.

I was a bit shocked when I heard of his death, it didn't sink in for a couple of days. If you haven't heard him, check him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Plusone