Friday, March 1, 2013
A day in Aldeburgh is always a treat but the painting didn't go smoothly. I'm having a few problems with my paint handling at the moment which made the painting session a struggle. There's been a subtle change in the transparency/opacity and the viscosity of the paint. Thinking about it now it's so obvious, I feel foolish. After fighting with two other paintings, I realise the issue is my paint medium. When I paint outdoors I usually add a small amount of Liquin to the paint for the under-painting, Liquin speeds up drying and I can finish the painting in one session. But a couple of weeks ago I ran out of Liquin and started using turpentine, I've been using it since. I know now that the change of mediums has tripped me up.