Friday, March 1, 2013

Aldburgh, Suffolk - Oil Painting - Paint Mediums

Aldburgh, Suffolk - Oil Painting by Tim Irving
I'm staying with coastal themes for this week. With the weather as dull as it is I need to work with a bit of colour. Of course it's always nice to visit Aldeburgh, famous for it fish and chips, welsh rarebit, pork pies and Adnams fine ales. Not to mention four art galleries.

A day in Aldeburgh is always a treat but the painting didn't go smoothly. I'm having a few problems with my paint handling at the moment which made the painting session a struggle. There's been a subtle change in the transparency/opacity and the viscosity of the paint. Thinking about it now it's so obvious, I feel foolish. After fighting with two other paintings, I realise the issue is my paint medium. When I paint outdoors I usually add a small amount of Liquin to the paint for the under-painting, Liquin speeds up drying and I can finish the painting in one session. But a couple of weeks ago I ran out of Liquin and started using turpentine, I've been using it since. I know now that the change of mediums has tripped me up.


5 comments:

  1. This is a great one for studying the colors, and the longer I look at it the more attracted I am. There is a lot to see. Again, you do a nice job of integrating the man-made colors with the nature-made. There is no clash, no disruption to jar me out of feeling like I'm there. Good sand; yummy, warm blends and movement. And the strip of green. . . well I won't even try to explain why I love it, but I do.

    An altogether inviting painting, a place I'd like to be, and a time I'd like to be there. Long shadows on the deserted shore, the optimistic houses looking on. This is a good time for thoughts. It is cheerful, but there is also mood. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's March 5th Tim! Wishing you a very happy and most excellent birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really drawn into the piece. It's so inviting. A place I'd like to visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still, it's really gorgeous! I'm so glad to have discovered your new blog Tim. Soon I will be purchasing one of your photos. I have not forgotten. Sometime in 2014. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missing your postings. Assuming you're busy. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas holiday. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Plusone