Friday, July 8, 2011

You Should Know This

African Kitchen - Tim Irving
In East Africa, right at this moment 9 million people are suffering from a drought that has lasted 3 years. It's the worst drought in 60 years, it's a disaster. 

I've visited this part of the world and can tell you that those suffering are in general, honest and hard working people. They include mothers, fathers, the old and the young. They have a sense of humour, like music, art, eating, drinking and gossiping. In fact they're like you and me, and our neighbours.

On a personal level I feel a terrible sadness for the people suffering. I have a feeling of impotence, in that I can't do something directly useful. I've done what I can do. I've given some money via a charity and hope it helps someone. Maybe you can do the same. Type famine into Google and take your pick of the charities.

1 comment:

  1. It's true, isn't it, how as individuals we feel useless in the face of such enormous disasters and think our small offerings won't make a difference. Thank you for encouraging action in spite of those feelings of impotence. It's critical that we all never stop caring for one another, never stop taking the practical steps to help.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Google Plusone